513 Parnassus Avenue, S-1334
San Francisco, CA 94143-0452
Fax: 415 476-4845
|Andrew Corson||Director Willed Body Program||Link|
|Andy Dang||Assistant to Zena Werb, Jeroen Roose, Rushika Perera, Jason Rock, Saul Villeda||Link|
|Claudette Delva Blanco||Technician, Willed Body Program||Link|
|Linda Toschi-Chambers||Assistant to Allan Basbaum, Carolyn Larabell, Evan Feinberg||Link|
|Josie Gonzales||Grants Administrator||Link|
|Laurie Long||Assistant to Donald McDonald||Link|
|Karl McElroy||Technician, Willed Body Program||Link|
|Lisa Poon||Operations Analyst||Link|
|Peter Werba||Server Administration||Link|
|Reina Zavala||Willed Body Administration||Link|
The Department of Anatomy had its beginnings in Toland Medical College, which was founded in 1864, and became the Medical Department of the University of California in 1873. Insofar as can be determined from the records available in its history of over one hundred years, there have been the following chairmen:
At the turn of the century, Dr. J. Marshall Flint, with the assistance of Drs. R. O. Moody and Irving Hardesty, undertook extensive reorganization of the teaching program and established courses in histology, microscopic organology, neurology, regional anatomy, and organogenesis. As well as special courses for physicians and advanced students; opportunities were also provided for capable students to undertake research.
The earthquake of 1906 damaged the Medical School buildings to such an extent that the Basic Science departments were transferred temporarily to the Berkeley campus; in the case of the Department of Anatomy, this period of exile lasted 52 years.
Today the department performs research and teaching from the Parnassus and Mission Bay campuses.